Built in 1925 near historic Route 66, the City of Tulsa Fire Station No. 8 served the Cherry Street District until the early 1990s. It was Tulsa’s last fire station to stable horses. David Clark and the architect behind the station’s renovation, James P. Boswell, purchased Fire Station No. 8 for adaptive reuse in 2012. The station’s new predominantly glass second story, respectfully stepped back to honor the original structure, overlooks the beautiful Downtown Tulsa skyline.

Location

  • 1400 S. Trenton, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74120
  • Southwest corner of East 14th Street and Trenton, just west of the Broken Arrow Expressway’s east-bound off ramp to South Utica Avenue
  • Located in Tulsa’s Cherry Street District near historic Route 66

Timeline

90th Anniversary Logo

  • Established August 1, 1925
  • Remodeled in 1967
  • Decommissioned as a fire station in the early 1990s
  • Used as office space for a City of Tulsa environmental services agency through January 2010
  • Request For Proposals (RFPs) for the sale and adaptive reuse of the station released by Tulsa Development Authority September 2010
  • Proposal presented by David Clark and James Boswell October 2010
  • Purchased September 2012
  • Renovation began April 2013
  • Offices for Station8 and James Boswell Architect, June 2014

Original Structure

  • Single story
  • 2026 square feet
  • Land area: 7500 square feet
  • Concrete foundation with a triple-brick stem wall with plastered interior walls
  • Hand-carved limestone marker reading “Fire Station No. 8”
  • Stick-frame roof
  • Included a bay area for fire vehicles, storage room, crew/office room, kitchen, bathroom/shower/locker room and supervisor’s office

Adaptive Reuse

  • Two stories
  • 3579 square feet
  • Original exposed brick interior walls and polished concrete floor
  • Stepped-back second floor, predominantly of steel, aluminum and glass, to de-emphasize its impact on the original architecture
  • First floor consists of offices for James Boswell Architect in the former bay area, along with a common reception area, meeting room, kitchen and restrooms
  • Second floor is office space for Station8 and features a west balcony with a view of downtown
  • Guest parking in front; new parking lot in rear
  • Many sustainable features including repurposed post oak timbers for the stairs and salvaged fire doors
  • Three-hole putting green on north side of the building

Do You Have a Complex Brand Story to Tell?