Apply for Web Developer - Freelance position
Web Developer - Freelance
Station8 is a branding and creative agency looking for a freelance web developer with the potential for hire. What makes us special and different from other agencies is we have a history of working with clients with incredible noble causes, and it's our passion to be a multiplier of those noble causes and the good they do in the world.
Our culture thrives on an ownership mindset. Because every decision we make directly impacts the people working beside us, we think like owners. This ensures...
- We have each other's backs
- We stay positive
- We show respect
- We anticipate and communicate
- We learn and improve
At Station8, we recognize that programmers come from a variety of backgrounds and we embrace non-standard paths to success. We place all applicants on equal footing whether you have a degree in computer science, agency experience as a web developer or have completed a coding bootcamp to gain relevant experience plus some real-world experience. An individual's programming knowledge, attention to detail, verbal and written communication skills, positive attitude and willingness to adapt to the requirements of each project are far more important. We're looking for a responsive and positive person with whom we can develop a professional relationship.
What's expected of you (essential job functions)
- Local to the Tulsa area and able to appear in person for meetings when requested Monday through Friday between 8:30a - 5p CT (2 times per week at maximum)
- Availability for phone, email, chat and virtual conference calling Monday through Friday between 8:30a - 5p CT
- Regularly create web projects using a variety of programming languages and tools
- Regularly modify existing web projects using a variety of programming languages and tools
- Consistently meet predetermined deadlines for each assignment
- Be a self starter and keep yourself accountable to expectations
- Willingness to ask for help when needed
- Willingness to provide help to others with a variety of tasks when needed
- Continuous independent growth of relevant programming and interpersonal skills
- Keen eye for detail (accuracy down to the pixel!)
- Comfortable communicating with clients and internal team members on a regular basis using a variety of methods
- Effectively work in a team environment
- Adhere to internal processes, budgets and timelines
- Ability to quickly learn specific languages, libraries and syntaxes to match each project’s requirements
- Comfortable using all common features of git and GitHub
- At least some experience coding in PHP and Wordpress (for our legacy projects)
- Have a portfolio with personal projects and the code that powers those projects
- Ability to follow verbal or written instructions and emulate existing coding styles
- Willingness to learn the technologies and concepts in the ideal candidate list below
Ideal candidate experience
- Working with pre-existing code
- Jamstack frameworks like Next.JS, Gatsby or Nuxt
- Static site hosts like Vercel or Netlify
- Sass styling with CSS Modules
- Coding with git-based and API-based CMS data
- Creating REST APIs with integrated authentication
- Database creation and maintenance
- DNS configuration
- Website analytics
- Leading technical training sessions
What to expect during the application process
If after reviewing your application and portfolio we feel like your qualifications are a match for our extended team, we will invite you to have an informal interview where our goal is to get to know you better. We'll ask questions about your learning experiences, work history and other background information. We don't believe in high-pressure interviews so we do not administer a coding interview, but we will assess your understanding of web development concepts using your personal portfolio projects. Standout candidates will have researched and practiced several of the ideal candidate skills above prior to the interview and are prepared to speak about their experience doing so.
After your initial interview, we may request that you complete a small sample project on your own so we can gain a better understanding of how well you adapt to an existing project’s structure and the specifications and timeline we provide.
Once we have reviewed your work, we may invite you for a final interview with additional members of our team.
Station8 strives to create a comfortable and accessible environment during interviews. We are happy to make accommodations on request if you are invited to interview.
Station8 is an equal opportunity employer
It is the policy of Station8 to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Station8 prohibits any such discrimination or harassment.